Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Velo Stud Buddy Rolls on Studded Rubber.

My Steamboat velo stud buddy, Ed DeGroff, told me last night that he rides his bike every day of the year. Yup. He said that.

"How do you keep from slipping and sliding,"  I asked?

"I've got studded snow tires on my mountain bike," Ed explained. "C'mon out to the garage and I'll show you what I mean."

So, I went to check these babies out.  I mean, they're better, safer and way-cooler than the tires most cars use these days.  The brand is European, the price is about one hundred bucks, per, and, as you can see, there is serious steel poking through the rubber tread.

Ed pedaled about five miles on Christmas. "Perfect snow and ice conditions," explains my velo stud buddy.

"Packed down snow like we've got in Steamboat now is ideal for the tires. They roll straight and true, and never slip from side to side."

"In loose snow, however," Ed rolls on, "you can easily take a tumble and never know what hit you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment