Saturday, September 7, 2013

Veterans for Peace Stage anti-Syria War Rally Today.


"How 'bout a show of hands," the now-tired voice implored into the mic.  "For how many of you is this the first anti-war rally you've attended?"

My right arm went up, cautiously at first, then with confidence and enthusiasm.   Imagine: 70 years old, grew up in the 'sixties and 'seventies, was drafted during Viet Nam, and never attended a peace rally !?

Today was my first.  How glad I am I made the trek to town -- corner of Hiawatha and Lake  -- to be part of history in the making. Organized by Veterans for Peace (I'm a vet), I qualify to attend, express my fears, outrage, hopes for a better world.

Like so many Americans I sure as hell don't have the answer for Syria.... or, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Israel, Yemen, Palestine, Egypt, Libya, Saudi Arabia, for that matter. Which Middle Eastern country have I missed?

What can the U. S.  do?  What are are our limitations:  civically, militarily, economically, morally? You all know the other priorities of our nation as well as I do.  Wouldn't we be better off inviting China, Russia, Japan, France, Germany and the UK into one room, locking the door, and figuring this out diplomatically?

Enough of the sword rattling, please; naval show of force, drones, threats of missiles, boots on the ground.  I know I'm exposed to a tiny part of the reality from that part of the world, but it seems to me that one more "wham, bam, thank you, ma'am," is not the answer.

What do YOU think?


No comments:

Post a Comment