Friday, August 19, 2011

Princeton Grad, Koga Dutch Cruiser.


My Orono pal Jim Hillegass and I get together for coffee regularly. We talk about work, kids, bikes, politics, economy, travel -- all the good stuff.  Much to my great delight Jim, P '67, shows up this morning at Harvest Moon on his Koga "Alliance"-- an authentic Dutch-style cruiser that folks in Holland and throughout the Euro Zone ride everywhere on a daily basis.

Koga Miyata is a top-notch, world class manufacturer.  I'd seen a few long-wheelbase, touring versions of Jim's bike, but never this model.   The features are stunning:  hydraulic shock connected to the down-tube, and visible in the foto. Front fork shocks.  Built in generator that powers a head- and tail light. A complex but totally logical gear shift system that I'm at a loss to explain. Plastic shields that cover the spokes on the rear wheel -- and keep European ladies' skirts from entanglement and road dirt.

And on and on the features go.

Jim let me take a turn around the parking lot.  Loved the ride -- most comfortable velo I've ever ridden.  Made me ache to have one of these babies of my own -- think I'll take a tour of Craig's List this weekend and see what I can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment