Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pedaling the Dakota Regional Trail


Labor Day -- yesterday -- turned out to be the pluperfect time for a ride. Temps in the 70's, gentle breeze, bright sunshine, made you feel ALIVE in a way so many days this Minnesota summer have not.

Decided to run a second test on the new Giant "Expressway" foldy.  Put the bike (even unfolded it fits easily into the back of the KIA) in the Sportage, along with:  helmet, gloves, water bottle, seat bag, trail map, tools, phone, camera, wallet, sunscreen -- I felt like a lady with a humongous purse! -- and headed to the Dakota Regional Trail.

No sooner had I set up my bike and entered the west-bound lane toward St. Boni than a drop-bar Specialized rider came up behind me. "How do you like that bike? It folds up, right?"

"Yeah," I replied, not having ridden enough to be breathless.  "It's a Giant -- got it last week. This is only my second ride. Kinda like a shakedown cruise."

"My neighbor showed up the other day," Mr. Specialized continued, "with a fluorescent yellow foldy. And I decided then and there that I had to have one myself!"

The trail was packed. Never seen it so busy.  Drop-bar Specialized guy (s), in-liners, tandems, trikes, hardbodies in blackbottoms, old guys wearing Tommy Bahama, families decked out in every imaginable outfit.  Most with helmets, which I always think is a good idea.

In and out we weaved, on-your-left we said in respectful voices. Past lovely homes in the Minnetonka Beach community; the elegant Lafayette Club; across wooden plank bridges spanning the Lake itself. Huffing, puffing, legs beginning to burn.

Exited the trail in Mound for Caribou coffee. It used to be somewhere around here. Took time for an iced cold press -- then headed back to my parked car in the lot at Crystal Bay post office.

But first, a foto for the scrapbook and Poppy's Velo Ventures.  My new friends, above, volunteered to pose in front of the Mound Harbor District sign so I could document the day.  I gave the Mrs. a card with my contact info, encouraging them to get in touch so I could e-mail a copy of the foto.

I'll let you know how that goes.  In the meantime, know that I had a ball yesterday. The foldy works fine.  My glutes were a little sore after the ride.  Folks admired my bike. And I began to wonder what a cross-country trip on this baby might be like .....?

No comments:

Post a Comment