Friday, September 23, 2011

A-Train Handcrafted Cycles. Alex Cook, Builder.


I should have pedaled to the Minnecycle Framebuilders Collaborative  Display this evening. Instead I drove the KIA to Vine Arts Center on 27th Ave. S and 26th Street.  And there I saw THE best looking, coolest custom-built bikes on the face of the earth.

Twelve designer/builders in all. Gorgeous, exquisite and spendy bikes and frames. Fixies, commuters, mountain bikes, randonneurs, even a unicylce!

I met young builders, like Alex Cook of A-Train Cycles, who is just about to hang out his shingle full time, but didn't mind posing for a goofy foto for PPV.

Curt Goodrich told me he'd been at it for 16 years -- "still standing," as he put it. "Not so much hair as before, but I've been able to make a living at it."  And what incredible machines he delivers to bike aficionados all over the country.

The show goes on tomorrow nite, 9/24.  Minnecycle.org and/or vineartscenter.org if you get the chance to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment