Friday, July 29, 2011

Spiritual Road Trip: Thomas a' Kempis.

I'm on a "spiritual road trip," as my daughter Sky would refer to my never-ending quest for enlightenment, connection and personal growth. I'm not actually in the KIA Sportage today, though I've hit the road before, in hopes of finding "the answer" someplace other than where I was.

I'm in my fave chair at home in Long Lake. It's so quiet at this early hour that I can barely believe my good fortune.  I'm reading "The Inner Life," by the 15th century theologian and essayist Thomas a' Kempis. The book is part of the Penguin "Great Ideas" series -- 'thinkers, pioneers, radicals and visionaries whose ideas shook civilization and helped make us who we are,' as the publisher explains.

Penguin continues,  "a' Kempis offered spiritual guidance to millions with his eloquent reflections on the virtues of humility and the profound power of faith."

Let me quote you, dear reader, some ideas that moved me forward this morning:

"A true understanding and humble estimate of oneself is the highest and most valuable of all lessons."

"The more humble a man is the more wise and at peace he will be in all that he does."

And this, my favorite by far, so far:

"Whoever loves much, does much. Whoever does a thing well, does much. And he does well, who serves the community before his own interests."

Finally: "Be peaceful with yourself, and you will be able to bring peace to others."

No comments:

Post a Comment