Monday, May 7, 2012

Wayzata Bay Shopping Center - R.I.P.


Long before Poppina and I moved to MN from CT, the Wayzata Bay Shopping Center served the commerical needs of residents of Wayzata, Plymouth, Orono, Long Lake and Minnetonka.

Now the shoe repair, hardware store, men's store, barber shop, natural products apothecary and the pancake house are just memories of places we all "used to go."  A senior citizen residential complex is coming in to take the place of Wayzata Bay Center -- RIP -- and the builders are wasting no time gettin' 'er done.

I rode by this morning on my bike.  What was a retail landmark barely a week ago is now piles of scrap metal, concrete blocks, glass, roofing material and plenty of dust.

This is progress, I suppose.  But "out with the old, in with the new"happens so fast it takes your breath away.  And it makes me, for one, realize that what was comfortable and familiar, and served our needs better than adequately, can be toast, a memory, in the blink of an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment