Saturday, October 6, 2012

Beat to Sh*t Bike, Steamboat Springs, CO.

How old is this baby?

And what kind of tales could it tell?

Looks to me like a single-cylinder 350 cc from the early 1950's. Probably 2-stroke, made in Europe, long-since taken out of service, and left to dress up a gas station's decor along US Hwy. 40 in the Colorado Rocky Mountains.

I once had a JAWA (Czech made, 2-stroke, 125 cc) that looked a little like this bike.  My machine was black w/gold paint trim, comfy, pretty quick for its size, and handled like a dream.

The JAWA was my daily transportation in the Panama Canal Zone when I was stationed there on active duty with the U.S. Air Force.  What a sight I must have been to my Commanding Officers, not to mention the Air Police who waved through vehicles at Albrook AFB.

The brash young Lieutenant, dressed in 1505's and low quarters, dying to do a wheelie at the front gate, but knowing full well that would not have been a cool move.

Unbecoming an officer, and the Bird Colonel would have been right!

No comments:

Post a Comment