Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Leafless-- but hardly Lifeless - in St. Paul.


We celebrated bright sunshine in the Twin Cities today -- a welcome change. I felt its warmth, and squinted my eyes near-shut, as I walked to meet my lunch date at Chatterbox Cafe.

Craig Cox favors this eatery, just off Ford Parkway in the Hyland Park neighborhood of St. Paul. We've been there before, and never had a bad meal.

Coxie wouldn't mind if I were late, I mused, as I admired the almost mystical, shadowy, leafless (but not lifeless), image etched by the sun on the Chatterbox building.

Got to the restaurant's front door just as Coxie arrived, gave my old buddy a big bear hug, and inside we ducked, out of the sun. We were shown to a capacious booth where we would end up talking about everything under the sun, save the shadows of a leafless (but not lifeless) poplar tree, made mysterious and glorious by a robust late October sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment