Thursday, October 4, 2012

Mississippi River - Locks + Dam #1

Now  they tell me.

It's taken nearly 15 years to figure out that this remarkable feat of river engineering is right here in my own back yard.

I discovered #1 Locks earlier this week on a ride up River Road West.  One other visitor was at the site -- and he arrived on his bike as well.

Not a boat was in view, though there doesn't seem to be a regularly scheduled filling and emptying of the locks.

My interest was piqued because I've spent time around the Panama Canal, and have a profound respect for what it took to dig the Canal and build + run the locks now.

Back to our country, and the Mississippi River: I'd love to ride the distance between the Twin Cities and St. Louis -- from where the first lock is located to where the last one operates -- sometime next summer.  There's a map for that -- and an App, of course -- and I suspect plenty of road warrior reports from pedalers who've gone before.

Stay tuned for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment