The Lowry Avenue Bridge, designed by T.Y. Lin International (TYLI) and SRF Consulting Group, Inc., has officially opened to traffic. The grand opening for the bridge was held on Saturday, October 27, 2012, to great fanfare. A ribbon cutting was conducted as well as performances by marching bands and a ceremonial parade across the bridge.
The Lowry Avenue Bridge is an important transportation corridor and neighborhood connection in Minneapolis. Hennepin County began the design process for this critical bridge replacement in 2007. The old bridge was closed in 2008 due to known structural issues and demolished in June 2009. The new tied arch bridge, whose main span length is 450 feet and total length is 900 feet, crosses the Mississippi River upstream from downtown Minneapolis.
Orange Crush was invented in Chicago in 1906 and founded as Ward’s Orange Crush in 1916, the brainchild of a California chemist named Neil Ward and entrepreneur Clayton Howel, who had already tried to make a go of it in the orange-soda business with Howel’s Orange Julep.
Early Ward’s Orange Crush fountain dispensers are especially prized by soda collectors since they are shaped like oranges, while people who collect advertising clocks look for the Ward’s Orange Crush Clock made before 1920 by Seth Thomas. In addition to Orange Crush, the Ward name preceded Lemon Crush and Lime Crush on all sorts of advertising.