Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Big Day in Hopkins: Shady Oak Beach, then a Stop at Depot Coffee Shop, where Solar Energy Rules the Roost, Provides the Juice.

 The young guy on duty at the ticket office told me that as many as 700-800 swimmers and picnickers come into Shady Oak Beach at any one time.  Wow.  When I visited yesterday some 450 folks, mostly younger, were enjoying last days of a gorgeous Minnesota summer.

 Turns out I could have bought a season's pass if I'd known about it earlier.  One can still enter with a day-pass, though I forgot to ask how much it cost.  The Beach stays open until 8:00 PM.  Season ends on August 23rd.  I'd bet habitues are going to miss this place since next May, and the opening of the 2016 season, is a long way away.

 Unmistakable Hopkins tower, easy to see from the busy regional bike trail.
I'd seen the solar panels atop Depot Coffee Shop.  Only yesterday did I notice the real time meters, displayed on a computer monitor, proclaiming impressive performance of the panels -- and making customers feel very good about CO2 NOT going into the atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment